Thursday, March 4, 2010

Skewl

Graduation is no longer a speck on my radar. May 25th is looming and I find myself spending my time planning cap and gown measurements and looking for new apartments. Senioritis is an understatement when it comes to school work..buuut I'd also like to blame the numerous snow days and a semester start date of February 2nd for the boredom/laziness.

Soo whenever I'm starting a new class or getting a new instructor, I rape and pillage ratemyprofessor.com and google the hell out of the professor to A. see what people are saying B. to prep myself for them (get a visual of the hotties) and C. check out their work. Sadly, I won't be able to do this anymore, as I'm graduating. But last night I took it upon myself to look up some of my current professors and see what's good lately. Five minutes into it I realized, again, that jewelry design, and FIT as a whole, was an incredibly great decision of mine. I'm proud of my work and proud of the professors I study under. Needless to say, it was a very inspiring night for me.

FIT is a cheap school (if you're a NY resident holla) but spending thousands of dollars on supplies kind of cancels that out..that's really the only flaw. For nearly two years I have studied with masters of their craft. People educated all over the world, and even some educated at FIT. I love all of my professors, but I'm only going to praise a few at the moment...

  • I enjoy classes with Tony Lent the most. Lots of people are offended or intimdated by him. But I really think they need to get over it and grow the fuck up. Tony was initially educated at Pratt (like so many other people in my circle) then went on to be trained as a goldsmith in Germany. I can't even imagine what a German education is like. In any case, it's hard to find a program that cherishes classical jewelry training and pushes their students to sweat, cry, and bleed through it all to achieve advanced technical skills like FIT does. Tony Lent has taught me soldering, piercing + sawing, diamond jewelry techniques, and currently teaches die forming. He and I both know that bench work is challenging for me, but I like to think he sees my effort. And I enjoy having him as a resource and role model. He does what he wants, he does it beautifull, and shits all over your 'fine jewelry.'














  • Gennady is a professor that taught me wax carving and costume jewelry (white metal model making). He was trained in Russia and he, like Tony, makes things that make my brain hurt trying to figure out how human hands made it...Besides teaching at FIT, Gennady works for Zadora Timepieces.









Zadora Coral Snakes Timepiece. 'Two inter-twining coral snakes executed in 18kt yellow and white palladium gold with pink and white diamond detail with green tsavorite eyes and blue sapphire, white diamond and green tsavorite detail with purple sapphire eyes resting on a 18kt yellow gold guilloche top. 18kt yellow gold case.' I've seen one of Zadora's timepieces in person. Words cannot describe. Absolutely amazing craftsmanship and major bling. The texture on the wristband is very unusual. If I'm remembering correctly, Gennady said that they use sting ray skin.
  • William Manfredi is a master silversmith. Up until a year ago he owned his own business in Manhattan restoring. During that time he began teaching at FIT, and has been there for decades. He learned his craft and worked in Italy during the 70's when, as he says, there were thousands of people like him. Apprenticing, working, refining their craft as silversmiths. Sadly, today you can count the remaining silversmiths on one hand. During his career, Manfredi has made pieces for the likes of Cartier and Tiffany's. It is a privilege to learn silversmithing with Manfredi; a true master of his craft and one of the kindest, most encouraging instructors I have ever encountered. Unfortunately, I can no longer post examples of his work, as his website is down and google images are way to small to give him, and his work, justice.
Thank goodness for good professors!

No comments:

Post a Comment